From: The New Era

April 7, 1928


FIRST SCHOOL INSTITUTED IN 1883 

School Has Had Steady Growth During Forty-Three Years Of Existence. 

All the facts that are needed to make a complete history of the Marfa Public School have not been gathered as yet, but enough have been secured to show a remarkable growth and to prove that the people of Marfa have always been interested in the education of their children. 

The first public school in Marfa was organized and taught by Miss Barnhart in 1885. Miss Barnhart was followed by Mr. B.P. Adams, who later became county judge of Presidio County. The founder of the Marfa High School was Mr. H.B. Griffin, who served as superintendent from 1900 to 1912. During Mr. Griffin’s first year there were three teachers in the school, Mr. Griffin, Mrs. Laura Wilcox, and Miss Hyde. 

In 1885 Miss Barnhart taught in a single room adobe building which stands today near the present Mexican School building, and is owned by Sam Hensley. The adobes were made arid and placed in the wall of this building at a cost of $30.00 per thousand. The first brick building was erected on the site of the present building in the Iate eighties, or early nineties. It was a two-story building having four rooms on the first floor and two rooms and the auditorium on the second floor. This building, complete with all desks and equipment, was $6,000.00. The school continued to grow, and in 1910 the north and south wings were added. These additions contained six classrooms and were erected at a cost of $15,000, which was paid by voting bodies for the purpose. 

Another addition to the original building was made in 1917 at a cost of $9,000.00, and was built without voting any bonds as the school fund at the time was sufficient to take care of the cost. Mr. T.C. Mitchell, Mr. Roberts, and Mrs. J.P. Tigner were the trustees when the north and south wings were added to the building.

In 1924 the people of Marfa voted to erect a new school building, and a bond issue of $75,000.00 was voted for the purpose. The building was constructed during 1925, and is modern in every particular. The structure is of concrete reinforced with steel, and the walls are supported with reinforced beams, and are filled with hollow tile and brick. The lighting, heating, ventilation, and arrangement of the rooms and corridors meet all standards set by the leading school architects of the country. At the time of the erection of the new building, the school board was composed of Mr. J.W. Howell, Mr. C.T. Mitchell, and H.O. Metcalfe. 

Editor’s note: This piece was edited for length.